"Love of beauty is Taste. The creation of beauty is Art" - Ralph Waldo Emerson (American poet)

Tuesday 15 February 2011

Mum

My earliest beauty recollection was watching my Mum applying makeup and creams. I can remember her lipstick shades like it was yesterday. I thought she was the most beautiful lady with her makeup on. 
 
She had a drawer under the sink to the left just for makeup. Dad's things were on the right. I knew that it would probably be a bad idea to put it on or she'd go ballistic but it didn't stop me from touching and looking and wondering about the strange application tools. I went through that drawer numerous times and would spend hours sitting in that bathroom playing with her things.
 
I think my mother has bought Mary Kay products for as long as I have been alive and uses their skin care regime still. I wanted those pink compacts so badly but it was a little pricey for a beginner. When I was 11 she was good to her word and took me to the local drugstore. I was so excited! This was it - this was being grown up! She bought me a Maybelline Great Lash mascara - that old faithful pink and green bottle. This was the 80's so I am sure it was all the rage then and it's still around. In fact if you did my quiz awhile back it's still the biggest selling mascara in America. I also picked out a blue and pink eyeshadow, pink blush and a pink frost lipstick. I can't remember who by but I remember exactly what they looked like. I know those colours must have looked ridiculous and I wouldn't have had a clue what I was doing but she knew I wanted it so badly to fit in with the other girls my age who were wearing makeup by then.
 
When I was 14 or 15 she thought it would be fun to have a mother/daughter weekend, drive to Vancouver together, and shop for back to school stuff. This is a major deal for a small town Kelowna girl as the malls were bigger and better there. She took me to a department store and we hit the beauty counter. I was told it was time I had some decent makeup. The lady artist in the Lancome section sat me down and showed me how to apply and told us what colours would be suitable. My mum bought everything Lancome. A compact with a brown and beige selection of eye shadows, a beautiful fluffy blush brush which I had for years and years, a mascara and a skin care regime by them as well.
 
Those were my first introductions into the beauty world so she's been quite integral in my interest of it all. She is an amazing lady and was very good to me growing up even though I was a teenager from hell. 
 
She's in Maui with my father and it's their wedding anniversay tomorrow. I must have been missing her.
A long long time ago..... Happy Anniversary!
 

6 comments:

  1. Lovely post Sar, love hearing these early memories. I bought my first lip stick aged 11 or 12 from Woolworths. It was called "Iced Magenta" and had one of those little slidey buttons on the side to get the lippy out rather than a twist-bottom. I think it might have been Rimmel, it was a truly horrific shade but I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your folks. Great photo, what a pair of groovsters. I wish I could remember my first bit of makeup, I do remember those slidey lipsticks though Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. No wonder you are so glam...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those sliders as well! Wet and wild! That was the name - it had a silver label and a clear case?! I think??

    I just wanted to note one more thing for my girlfriends that have their own daughters now - remember that you're their first point of call so it's up to you to ensure they know the basics. Take them to a makeup counter so they can see how it's done properly. So many girls out there look ridiculous and way too old for their age. It makes me sad. If you can't be bothered then let me do it for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love! Nice to know it still exists! I still use Great Lash on occasion
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope they're having a blast in Maui!
    You look a lot like your Mom. I hope I can meet her one day.

    PS I love Lancome mascara.

    ReplyDelete